We're finally doing it. The Ferber method. We are on night two and things, so far, are going well. The first night was tough for sure. We started our bedtime routine - stories, songs, milk and a little bouncing - and when he was clearly getting tired, we laid him down in his crib. Bryce and I both told him goodnight, that we loved him and we knew he could do it. I left the room with tears in my eyes feeling as if I was dropping him off at college. (I can tell that having my little baby boy grow up is going to be hard on me.) We were ready with coffee and emotional support for each other to weather the cries together. We thought we might have hours of baby-tears and self-doubt ahead of us. But after twenty-five minutes, he was asleep. We could hardly believe how well it had worked. Don't get me wrong, it was a grueling twenty-five minutes. I could hardly take my eyes off the video monitor even as I tried to distract myself with TV and telephone calls from well-wishers who knew it was the big night. But it was so nice to crawl into bed with Bryce, just the two of us again.
Jack stayed down for a few hours and was back up again around midnight. I went into his room and rubbed his belly and told him I loved him and went back to bed with my video monitor in hand ready to wait out another scream storm. Within two minutes, he was asleep. The next round started at about 2:00 a.m. It lasted a little longer than the first, but still Jack was asleep after 40 minutes or so. He actually would have fallen asleep sooner, but I when thought he'd fallen asleep at the twenty-minute mark and went in to check on him, I let him see me and we were back where we started. I had a craft project I was working on for a baby shower I was hosting which helped keep me distracted as I waited the designated intervals between reassurances to Baby that I still loved him and this was for his own good.
Four o'clock rolls around and he's up again. It was Bryce's turn. I gave him the monitor and he went in and gave Jack some reassurance and was ready for his shift. Within five minutes, Jack was out. I may have been a little miffed that Bryce got off so easy, but mostly was thrilled that this seemed to be working.
At around 6:00 a.m., we had another round but I don't think it lasted more than a few minutes either. Then a little before seven he was up and ready to start his day. I couldn't believe it! We'd made it through the night and everyone was feeling good in the morning.
Tonight we did our bedtime routine again and it only took a few minutes for Little J to fall asleep. I am headed for bed because I'm sure it won't be long before he wakes up again. Wish me luck!
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Tell Jack that I'm so proud of him and I knew he could do it! I'm so proud of you too...it's a hard thing to do, but good for all of you in the long run.
Here's to good nights of long sleep! Love you guys!
Yay! I'm so proud of all of you! Keep up the good work! You will be so happy with the results!
Excellent job, Jack! And even more excellent to mama and daddy! That is such a hard, hard time while you are going through it. But in hindsight, it's never as bad as it seemed. Great job! You guys are such excellent parents!
That is so hard! I know it is, but it is totally worth it and amazing to all of us moms when it actually works. Hang in there. I'm sure there will be a few more tough nights, but you and Jack can do it!
Post a Comment