Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Turning Thirty

Soon, so very soon, I will be turning thirty.  Sometimes thirty sounds about right and at other times I am completely mystified that I could be already leaving my twenties.  Oh my twenties!  In the past ten years, I feel like I have been at least three or four different people.  When I was young, I remember thinking that your 20s are when you become the person you are going to be.  And it's so weird now to look back to see how many different changes I have been through after I was already an adult by society's standards.  As my twenties come to a close, I wanted to reflect on some of the highlights:

21: I broke up with a very mean boyfriend and regained my independence.  I also gained two very best friends in Tammy and Terri & reconnected with my best high school girlfriends.  Cassie and I had so much fun together at 21.  We were so carefree and skinny.  We knew all the best bars, all the cool shots to order and never seemed to get hungover.  Toward the end of this year, I met and fell in love with Bryce. 

22: My first trip to New Orleans - my favorite people in the world went with me to Jazzfest to celebrate my birthday!  I graduated from TCU.  Drove my new Honda Accord to San Diego to start law school.  Learned to surf.

23: Moved home to Texas and in with Bryce.  Transferred to SMU.  Bought our first house and undertook some serious remodeling projects.  Ran a marathon.

24: Went on Spring Break to San Diego with some great friends where we decided that we were, in fact, too old to go on Spring Break. 

25: Graduated from law school.  Went to Crystal Beach with our awesome neighbors.  Passed the bar exam.  Bryce took me to San Francisco for our first grown up vacation together.  Started work at my first real grown up job.

26: Tried out for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and made it to the finals.  Was very skinny, but not as carefree as I was at 21. 

27: Got engaged.  Planned a wedding.  Got married.  Went on our honeymoon to Maui.  There were some seriously wonderful memories made this year. 

28: Went to Chicago for our first wedding anniversary and had the best time celebrating St. Pat's with my family there.  Tried out for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders again and didn't make it, so I bought a convertable to cheer myself up (Yay Wolfie!).  Took ice skating lessons with Bryce.  Got pregnant.

29: Became a freaking mom (Yay Jack!).  Traded in my convertable for a Honda Accord.  Life is funny that way. 

5 comments:

Tricia Welch said...

I love this post! You have inspired me to try and do the same...although I am certain that my twenties won't look nearly as exciting as yours! Can't wait to celebrate turning 30 with you this weekend! Love you!

Theresa said...

Love, love, LOVE this post! You've done so much cool stuff and I'm so jealous that you tried out for Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders! Whoohoo! I need a full briefing on that!

Stacey said...

This is the most awesome birthday post I've ever read. What a full, exciting life you've led the past ten years! I'm so happy I've gotten to be a part of it.

Love you so much and can't wait to celebrate the big three-oh with you this weekend!!

Heather said...

After making a list like that, you should be so proud of all the exciting events you've packed into the last 10 years! I'm sure many more are in store for the next 10 as well. Welcome to the 30-35 box!

The Potters said...

Your 20s were way cooler than mine were! And OMG you were SOOOO skinny that year that you tried out for the Dallas Cowboys. I totally remember! 29 is my favorite year for you, though, because of Jack. He completes the awesomeness of Laura and Bryce.