One of my favorite things to do is to sit out on the deck behind our house and listen to music with Bryce. We've shared a love of music since we first met. On our first date we bonded over the Jay-Z Blueprint Album ("H to the Izzo, V to the Izzay"). Bryce mentioned that he had been meaning to buy it and I just happened to have it in my car at that moment. Since that time we've made lots of mix CDs to reflect whatever our musical taste was at that moment. We've always especially loved jazz, motown, reggae and funk. But we've also gone through a hip-hop phase and a southern and punk rock period as well.
Needless to say, we really want our little boy to have a love for and appreciation of good music. Almost as soon as he was born, we noticed that he had very long fingers and therefore decided he should play the piano. He will be an excellent addition to our family band! In order to jump start his music education, we put together a special playlist to play at the hospital as soon as our little boy arrived. It was a mix of songs we love and songs that seemed especially appropriate for the occasion. We must have played it fifty times during our stay at the hospital. I don't know how much of the music Jack actually heard, but these songs certainly made our time there even more special. I know that every time I hear them, I will think of this wonderful time in my life.
Baby's First Playlist
Feelin' Groovy - Simon & Garfunkle
Wildflowers - Tom Petty
Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles
Redemption Song - Bob Marley
Beautiful Boy - John Lennon
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Cocoon - Jack Johnson
Sattelite - Dave Matthews Band
Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
You Are My Sunshine - Johnny Cash
I Love to See You Smile - Randy Newman
You Are the Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Excellent play list, LWD! I'm not a huge fan of lullabyes (well, actually, I only know a couple, so I think that's part of the problem.) so I am frequently singing some good ol' Bob Marley to Conley and she loves it!
I love it! We had a few of those songs on my "labor playlist" as well. They will always hold a special place in my heart.
You two have such groovy, eclectic musical tastes though...your kid is destined to be cooler than ours!
Post a Comment