On Tuesday mornings Jack and I like to get our exercise on at Lotus Yoga Studio in Fort Worth. I just love it there! It is where I took my prenatal yoga classes. Kelle, the instructor, is just one of the nicest and most knowledgeable women a pregnant lady could ever ask for. And getting to continue my yoga practice with Jack has been a real joy.
Our first time going, however, I was very nervous. I hadn't been out that much with Jack by myself and the thought of bringing a potentially disruptive baby to a yoga class (which in my prior experience had always been a very serene experience) seemed risky. But away we went, blanket and extra diapers in hand, ready to give it a try. I fed him right before we left hoping that he might just sleep through the whole thing and everyone there would believe I had the best baby ever. But almost as soon as we walked in, he started to fuss. There were about 6 other babies all laying happily on thier blankets waiting for yoga class to start, and me sweating, stressing, and doing everything I could think of to quiet my unhappy baby without bringing too much attention to us. Rocking, shushing, bouncing, praying.
No success as class begins in earnest and I am completely unable to participate. I decide feeding him is my only option, so I excuse myself to the waiting area and feed my hungry little man. Finally, he begins to relax (and I do too) and I can rejoin the group. As I reenter the classroom, I find two other moms walking around soothing their own fussy babies and another who's opted to feed her little one right there in the circle. I was in good company for sure. Jack was happy as a clam for the rest of class. He loved the poses we got to do together and he waited patiently on his mat while I did my own stretching. Jack also loved looking at the other babies in the room. This is the first time he had ever seen other babies about his size and boy was he curious.
Over the course of the class babies fussed, mommies rocked, fed, bounced and soothed. Jack wasn't the only unpredictable baby around and that was such a comfort to me. Now when I go to yoga, I have so much more confidence in myself as a mom and when I see those tense new moms joining the group, I can totally relate.
Friday, September 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment