When I was a little kid, my Dad used to tell me this story. As a child it was always one of my favorites to hear, mostly because it had the word "shit" in it which my Dad didn't censor. I thought it was so funny to be listening to that word. It made me feel grown up, like my Dad thought I was cool enough to handle it, but also like I was being bad because I knew my Mom wouldn't approve. Even as I've grown into an adult who swears with impressive regularity, I still think this is just the best story. Here it goes:
There were these two brothers playing around one afternoon, when they decided to go down and play in their basement. As they opened the door to the basement, things immediately began to smell foul and as they crept down into the basement they discovered the source of the odor. The basement was covered in horse shit! There was horse shit everywhere, so much that the little boys practically had to wade through it once they reached the bottom. (As a child I had just the funniest mental image of two little boys walking around armpit deep in poop!) One of the brothers was so upset. 'Oh me!' he cried. This was terrible, how were they ever going to get rid of all of the horse shit. As the one brother lamented, the other brother rejoiced. He started digging around in the mushy stuff and tossing horse dung left and right. (This is another part of the story that I'm not sure I remember exactly as it was told, but this is always how I pictured it happening - a little boy tossing horse patties like frisbees.) He was laughing and smiling enjoying every bit of it. The more reasonable brother just did not know what to make of him. 'What are you doing?' he snarled 'This is terrible, we are covered in horse shit.' The other brother smiled and responded 'With this much horse shit down here, there's bound to be a Shetland pony around here somewhere!'
What I really love about the story is that my Dad is totally the second brother. He has lived his life with complete optimism. He told me once that I should strive everyday to be the most positive and enthusiastic person I know. My Dad is definitely that to me. I hope I can be the same kind of example for Jack and show him how truly satisfying the life of an optimist can be.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am not sure what class I was dropping you off for the time I told you this story for the first time but I remember the place and the incident vividly. For some reason that day you did not want to go to your class. You said it was no fun and didn't want to go. I told you this story in hopes of changing your attitude. It worked, after hearing the story you got right out of the car and went to the class with a smile on your face. The class was in the building on the Trinity river near Forest Park and Zoo. What was that class?
This is so funny!! And I particularly love that your dad told this story to you when you didn't want to go to school and that it changed your perspective for that day! You are the very most positive person I know, and now I can thank that to some horse shit...Hahaha! :)
I love this story! I'll have to remember it. thanks for sharing!
I love it! Your retelling of the story is perfect. I can totally see little Laura absolutely entranced by her daddy's fable.
I think one reason people love to be around you is your optimistic, fun-loving attitude. You are honset enough to say something is crap when it is, but you aren't going to let it get you down!
Girl, I need an update on your little cutie pie!
Post a Comment